In Rand’s latest Whiteboard Friday the discussion is whether anyone should still be doing this. The short answers:
- Yes, but don’t overdo it. Google will penalize you for too many odd ones
- Keep it regular html if possible. JS and other stuff may not work
- Use an alt attribute for image links
- Clean up your content and architecture
- Only use links that matter
The theme here is pretty much like all of Rand’s suggestions: write like a human, make your stuff useful and don’t try to game Google because they know what you’re up to.
You can find the full video here.